We're Smokin'

One afternoon after school Sammy came over to see if I could ride around with him till time for him to go to work. He was on the air from 6-10 at night so we had a few hours. Normally this wasn't allowed during the week but weekends were fine. I don't know what mama was smokin' that day (ha) but I got lucky and she gave me the go ahead. Sammy drove a yellow car with a black vinyl top, maybe a ford. I really don't know cause I don't know anything about makes and models. Heck, I don't think that kinda stuff is important,all that matters is the color and where to put the gas. Anyway, this beauty of a car smoked really bad. I don't know why and neither did he, apparently. When he got about 3 blocks away from anywhere and if you were standing outside you could see him coming. You know it didn't bother me cause I was liking that driver a lot. 

Oh we rode all over Iuka that afternoon, just cruising and listing to the radio, me sitting as close to him as I possibly could. Helping the city out...... no need to spray for mosquitoes, we was smokin' them out.
Now  y'all think back, ( I know time flies now) but when you were out on a date or just riding around seems the hours really flew. I remember thinking, aw shoot! its time to take me home. I'm gonna have to face the dinner table. ( report in to that bunch at home)

Well time was up. Remember this was the first time bring me home in the day light hours so we pull in the driveway. I said, just shake my hand, don't kiss me cause I know one of them is watching out the window. I get in the house and guess who is home????? Daddy. I always felt like I was on the Hot seat when he was  home, espicially at the dinner table. He would always bring up something about that long haired boy I was seeing and Keith and Lisa thrived on that....... Here we go!!!!!

Daddy:  Your mama tells me she let you go riding around with that boy.
Me:  Yeah, she did
Daddy:  What on earth is wrong with that boys car?
Me:  I don't know. Its just a smokin' car.
Daddy:  Smokin'?????????  and thats not all.
Me:  What else is wrong?
Daddy:  How come it takes TWOOOOOOO to drive that car?
Me:  Hum! ( he had me there)
Daddy:  Girl, your likin' that boy, ain't you.
Me:  Maybe!
Keith and Lisa:  Just a snickerin'
Me:  Maybe not! ( I wanted to slap them so bad but we wasn't supposed to do that either)

You see what I didn't know was.... daddy had some businessmen in town riding them around too, showing them the town and property. Daddy sold real estate on the side. Said, he was at the intersection and one of the men said, I want you to look over at that girl up under that long haired boy. Daddy said, after the smoked cleared he looked but didn't comment. ( now I believe daddy added to the story somewhat)  Anyway, he said, you give that boy a message for me, get that car fixed and you better stay on your side of the car. I don't think I ever sat next to Sammy in the Day Light Hours again.

Dear Lord,
I.m so glad you ride around with me. You know I'm a talker but I need to be listening sometimes too.
Just like when the smoke clears, we can all see better. Amen





Comments

  1. Why is it, Teresa, that all major conversations (scrutiny) ALWAYS took place at the dinner table??? Talk about indigestion! It never failed...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lol , oh my !!! I have so enjoyed sitting here reading all these blogs tonight. I got behind and someone posted it on my FB wall and I saw where u had several. Again I have enjoyed each of them. The memories are so real and will last a lifetime . That's how we keep our loved once close to us . So thankful I had the privilege to know this great man. He left such a stock pile of wonderful memories for his family , his friends and especially for u ! And I know u cherish each one . Keep those stories coming , I truly love them !!!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

One Leg Over the Threshold

Sometimes You Just Gotta Laugh

My New Journey