Rehearsal Dinner

January 11, 1974


Our rehearsal dinner was held in the fellowship hall at the Methodist Church in town. I remembered it had rained for days and most of the nights. I told Sammy a few months before he was in charge of coming up with the music for our wedding, thought I'd give him something to do. He took charge alright, he wanted a 4-5 piece band to play. We had to meet with our preacher ( Bro. Jack Williams ) a few weeks before, as all couples do. You know to have that "Talk" just in case you wanna jump ship now, instead of later. We ask right before we left, if we could have a band play in the church. He said, that would be wonderful..So the night of the rehearsal dinner Sammy was a little late getting there.( I thought maybe he did jump ship) Finally, he showed up with the band members and a organ. The reason they were late was, they had to wade across a creek to this guys house  to get the organ. He said, the road had washed out and they had to carry that organ a good ways. Lord have mercy, they were so wet and muddy and the look on Mama's face wasn't pretty. Of course she was having forty fits cause a band was gonna play IN THE CHURCH. We didn't tell her about that part until the last minute cause we knew she would be over joyed..It didn't help that the guys all had longgggg hair and we all know what she thought they were up too.
After the dinner we all go to my house ( mamas and daddy's house)  and I asked if Sammy could come up to my room cause we had some last minutes stuff to go over.( wink, wink) Mama said, alright but he has to be gone by 11 and it was almost 11 then. Seems we just got started talking and here she comes, its 11......you gotta leave. WHAT????? we're getting married tomorrow. I remembered when I walked Sammy to his car he was laughing and said, I'm gonna leave but tomorrow, forever and always your mine.

Dear Lord
As I wade through this life, I want my friends to know this is our one and only rehearsal. We gotta look inside and get things right with you before our Big Day. Amen



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

One Leg Over the Threshold

Sometimes You Just Gotta Laugh

My New Journey