One Leg Over the Threshold

Hey, have y'all ever heard of carrying your bride over the threshold when you get married? I doubt couples even do that any more or maybe I just thought that was the finishing touch but apparently Sammy had never heard of this. Now y'all remember I was only 17 1/2 and this was my way of thinking. I thought before you ever set foot in your house or apartment and after the honeymoon your new husband was suppose to carry you in his arms through the doorway. I'll go ahead and apologize for this image!!!!! so we get to our little apartment, we are so excited and we walk straight in and sat on the couch.I remember we sorta looked at each other as if to say... what next. Then it hit me,oh my goodness, he forgot to carry me. This is our conversation:
(me) get up.
(Sam) why, what is wrong?
(me) we gotta go back outside so you can carry though the doorway.
(Sam) why, you just walked through it with me?
(me) well, I think this is some kind of rule when you first get home.
(Sam - a little confused) you mean I gotta carry you every time we come home?
(me) I should have said yeah, but I said instead nope just this time.
(Sam) well heaven forbid lets go back out and then come back in again.
(me) yep that's what we gotta do.

Y'all back then we were both sooooo skinny, maybe 105 lbs soaking wet, even wore the same size clothes. Anyway outside:
(Sam) how do I carry you?
(me) I don't really know, I think as long as my legs don't touch the ground we will be good.
(Sam) how for back we need to start this?
(me) heck, I don't know, how strong are ya?

Well it took us a couple of tries cause the first time he dropped one of my legs and the second wasn't much better. Finally I said can you grab one of my legs and when we get to the threshold I'll jump over with the other that should count for something. He kept looking around like maybe someone was watching us but it was dark, so no one could see. However, I do think it was light outside when we started this. Well he got a run and go, grab my leg and I jumped over and we fell in the floor but by-granny we made it. We laid there laughing and laughing until he said "I'm hungry" what you gonna cook. I froze and finally broke the news, I can't cook but I can iron, mow and wash cars. By that look on his face I know he was thinking "SHE'S A KEEPER."

Dear Lord, Thank you for walking beside me each day. I know sometimes I sure do lean and some days you just carry me, legs and all. Amen

Comments

  1. I love it, Teresa!!! Made me smile!!! Can't wait for the next post!!! God bless!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much for sharing this!! Loved reading the story! So glad you have a blog, and I look forward to reading more from you! Love!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love it, and I love the way you write. Honest, funny--like talking to a good friend. What a blessing, keep it up!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Teresa this is wonderful and you are a joy! Thank you so much for sharing your life and sweet memories. God bless and keep you always.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wonderful! So enjoying your blog...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, Teresa! Me and Mary laughed till we cried! Felt like we were there! Love you!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Sometimes You Just Gotta Laugh

My New Journey