Talking to the Man Upstairs

Hey, Y'all this ain't what you think its about and some of you have heard this one. So for the out-of -towners Cutshalls is our local funeral home. In this case the man upstairs is MR. Alabama. No really, you know these guys that compete, they got Big ole muscles and they shave Everything on their body (I was told) and they strike a pose. I don't even know if they still do stuff like that any more but I guess it was cool back in the 80's. Any way he lived up stairs from us with his mama.lol!
I forgot to mention in my 1st date story that my grandmother (Mama Helen) had given me a little puppy (she had raised from birth with a bottle). I'd go visit this little puppy every day after school so she told me if it lived she would give it to me. So I brought it home that afternoon on the same day I had that wonderful date. I named that puppy Samson. I think Sammy thought he would have to marry me now, cause that puppy had the first three letters of his name.

Ok here we go, this takes place in Birmingham, Ala:

One day I decided to take Nikki and this little boy I was keeping to the play ground in our apartment complex. They were both 18 months old, so I put them in a little red wagon and Samson went along with us (without a leash).On our way back from the playground Samson ran ahead of us. He had spotted some pine trees he couldn't resist so he crossed the road (not a busy road) that led down to some more apartments. Just about the time he decided to cross back over, here comes a car. I see her back tire run over him. She was going over a speed breaker (is that what its called, a built up bump) about the same time Samson met the tire. The kids and I were kinda on a hill that over looked this road so I just sat down beside the wagon and started crying real loud (ok I was screaming). This lady across the way, who really couldn't see what had happened, just that a car had gone by and me screaming. She hollered to me: honey what is wrong? I said, she ran over him! I think she thought it was one of the kids that had been run over because of the shape I was in. She said, I'll be right there. I sat and waited and waited on her and she never came. I couldn't go get Samson cause I had my wagon loaded down so I decided to go back to the apartment and call Sammy. About the time we get almost there, Mr Alabama came down the stairs and said, Teresa what is wrong. I told him and he said, he would go get Samson and take care of him for me. In the mean time, I call home and Keith answered the phone. Well I was crying so hard, he musta thought I said, Sammy had gotten run over and killed. My parents were at our lake house (double wide trailer near the lake) and no phone, so he drives down there to tell them. Before I start this conversation let me tell ya about my mama and dogs. Mama never really cared about any of our dogs. When I told her Samson would be living with me when I got married she was all for it.
When she calls she was hysterical and by then I had a little time to calm down but not to much. Oh, I was still crying my heart out (you know that ugly cry) where snot and tears are all running together, so here's our conversation.
Mama: just tell me what happened.
Me: Oh mama a car came by and hit him.
Mama: A HIT AND RUN?
Me: Well, yeah! thinking to myself------ ( I 'd never really thought about it that way)
Mama: did you get a tag number?
Me: naw mama, he was so little she didn't even know she hit him.
Mama: Oh my Lord!
Me: Mama, I been talking to the man upstairs.
Mama:  well thats good. (she thought I meant God)
Me: and he has taken care of everything.
Mama: Oh yeah, thats good.
Me: yep, he wrapped him up in a blanket, put him in a box and he's under the porch.
Mama: OH MY LORD! TERESA
ME: mama I been thinking.
Mama: yeah?
Me: I want him brought back to Iuka.
Mama: Well of course.
Me: and I want him buried in Mama Helen's backyard.
Mama: TERESA, you are gonna have to get a hold of yourself.   (she's thinking call Cutshalls)
Me: I think Mama Helen would like that, after all she gave him to me.
Mama:  (there is dead silence)........... no sadness in her voice now.........are you talking about that DOGGGGG??!!!
Me: yeah.
Mama: I'm coming.

Seems like I had just hung up my phone and my mama and mama Helen pull up. The kids were asleep and I was sitting on my porch crying and holding some dead wild flowers the neighborhood kids had picked for me. Everyone in the apartment complex knew Samson, so I got flowers and his death was mentioned in the neighborhood newspaper that week. Thanks to my mama, Mama Helen and the man up-stairs, Samson was brought back to Iuka, wrapped in a blanket, put in a box and buried him in Mama Helen's backyard.

Samson was our baby for 6 1/2 yrs. before Nikki came along. He only weighed 4 lbs and lived 10 yrs. Funny thing is we have a dog that looks just like Samson. I mean you can't tell their pictures apart. Her name is Rustie, that's Kinsley's dog.  R.I.P. sweet Samson.

Dear God,
You truly are my man upstairs.You are the joy of my salvation and the peace in my storm.I know you don't have to say I'm coming cause you are already here. Amen




Comments

  1. Hey Teresa,
    I'm sorry about the dog (I handle the death of dogs about the same as you), but that's about the funniest story I've every heard!!

    I pray you're doing well.

    Love and miss you,
    Scott Harper

    ReplyDelete
  2. It really is among the funniest I have ever heard as well! We are also dog lovers.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

One Leg Over the Threshold

Sometimes You Just Gotta Laugh

My New Journey