Sometimes You Just Gotta Laugh

I don't mean to brag, and some may beg to differ, but I think our parents did a pretty good job of raising us three, Keith, Lisa and me. And as Daddy and Mama get older, we want the best we can give to them. They are both on the front side of 80 and, as we know with age, we all get to slipping a little. Whether it be our health, our bodies, or our mind as with the case with them. Oh, we're all gonna be there one day.  Time please slow down. Daddy and Mama are very independent, PTL, and they got each other. What one can't remember the other can on good days. Hehe!  But occasionally, they need our help. They don't really like to ask for it. Keith helps out with the handy man stuff and lawn work when Daddy will let him. Lisa helps out in the business department and doctors appointments / medicine and then there's me. Let me just say, it's a good thing none of us are jealous or get our feeling hurt because I was once their cook and out- of -town driver but not so much now. I heard through the grapevine, that would be Lisa, that Daddy wanted me to lay off the cooking. Shhh! Heck, I thought I was pretty good, after all I, at one time, had five mouths to feed. I will admit I can't cook like his mother but she taught me how to make corn bread and he will request that every now and then. Yeppee! His excuse to Lisa was they like to go out and eat and be around people. So Be It!

Now I've heard he don't like my driving. Seems it all started after coming back from Corinth (nearest town about 25-30 miles west of here) and a deer ran out in front of us. Bam! I didn't have time to swerve, thank goodness, we just made contact. But, I was driving his car! Lord, I heard about that for months;" Do you remember when... or I want you to go out there and look at my car." All it did was brake out the front left head light and hair/blood splattered around that area. I offered to pay but, NO! Well he got it fixed and he hasn't mentioned it until ...

Y'all a few months ago I had to have my windshield replaced because of a rock. And ever since then my rear view mirror won't stay on for very long. I mean I get a few days out of it then down she goes. I'm so use to it now. I know it's either gonna land in the passenger seat or in the floor. No big deal, if I need to look behind I hold her up and then gently lay her down. Oh sometime I'll hang her back up. Don't worry that's on my to-do-list this summer. But here's the funniest thing,  after work one Friday afternoon I stopped by to see Daddy and Mama (as I always do), and I ask them if they would like to go eat in Corinth . I promised I'd drive slow, 65 is too fast for them. Daddy agreed, Mama could care less. Daddy says let's go in your car because we might come upon a deer. Oh, he got a laugh out of that! So they get in and we are cruising on down the road and everything is good, we're almost to our designation and that dang mirror fell off and hit Daddy on his left knee. Y'all, I know it hurt but he shared the hit with the gear shift thingy so it wasn't a full blown hit but I know it hurt. He must have been dozing because you would have thought an 18 wheeler had hit him.. Laugh if you must, I swear I was crying to keep from laughing.Then Mama comes to life in the back seat and says, "Jackie did she hit another deer.''  Bless her, I may have swerve just a little because I had tears running down my face, neck and bra (laughing tears). Daddy hollered, 'SHIT!!!! slow this thang down, something just took my leg off." Finally (as the car is scrawling on down the road) I said,  'Daddy my mirror fell off." Daddy said, "I'll make you think a mirror, you know that mirror didn't come flying through that window 'cause the windows are up." I said," Daddy look down between your feet, there's the mirror that fell from up above." He said, "Well it like to have killed me. '' Then the back seat driver chimes in and says, "It like to have got us all." So there you go.. sometimes you just gotta laugh. However, we came real close to going through a drive- thru and headin' on back with our sack lunch because I didn't have crutches on me. Lol ! God love their heart!

Dear Lord, How grateful we three are to have loving and giving parents. They've been so good to us and we just wanna give back. You picked us some gooduns'.  Help us to help them. Give us patiences  and wisdom when we are in need. Thank you for your gift of laughter because sometimes that's the best medicine. All my love and in your name I pray. Amen.

Comments

  1. Bless your heart, I laughed with you ��
    I have missed your humor of real life. Love your family.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just love your sweet and funny stories..

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my goodness. It is 3;00 in the morni ng and I am laughing out loud. I gota visual of your daddy and could hear his voice. Teresa you have such a wonderful gift and two treasures. Thank you for sharing them with us.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

One Leg Over the Threshold

My New Journey