I. O... Them

Those of you who came to the funeral have heard this one, but if I'm gonna write a book I gotta include this one.HA! Oh yeah,  I'm about 14 1/2 years old in this story.

In December,1970, my grandmother (Mama Helen) and her friend (Mattie Beard ) were asked to come to the radio station to sing on the air. Best I can remember there was some kind of  benefit going on where you call in and pledge money, so someone called in and wanted them to sing. I was the lucky one to drive them to the station and that's where we ( Sam and me ) first laid eyes on each other. I really wasn't interested in him right a way; my only concern was how he played those records. So that was about it for us till about March.
In January on a Saturday night, this boy (not Sam) called me, and wanted to know if he could come over to my house and watch some TV. You know me I thought maybe their TV was messed up and that's why he wanted to come over. So he comes over, we sit down on the couch, and he wants to sit real close to me.  That wasn't gonna work. I'd slide on down the couch and he would slide on down, too. Finally I got up and went upstairs and found Keith and Lisa. I told them I'd give them some money if they would come down stairs and sit between us. Lord, I think they beat me down the stairs. Well the next weekend rolled around and he calls and wants to know if he can come over again and watch TV. Mama wanted to know what  was going on. I said, his TV must be tore up.When he comes over, me and the other two were ready for him. Before he left that night he had the nerve to ask if he come over the next weekend. I guess I got it then, it wasn't about the TV and I was going broke.  I was using my lunch money to pay Keith and Lisa. I told him he couldn't come over anymore; he got mad and I told him if he didn't like it he could cut out walking and he faded in the darkness.
In early February a friend of mine said, "That boy at the radio station was asking about you."
I said, "Yeah, right.
She said, "He said can I give him your phone number."
 I really didn't believe him so I said, "Sure."
Goodness gracious he called me.  I think I did the happy dance!!!
Another friend of mine had her driver license (I didn't ) so after school or basketball practice we would go to Grady's Hamburgers and Sammy would meet us there and we would talk. One time he ask me out and I told him I couldn't date but he could come over and watch TV. Now when that other boy would come over Mama would disappear and when Sammy came over to watch TV, no Mama. I guess she knew the informers (K&L) would report to her. Honestly it wouldn't surprise me if she wasn't paying them on the side, too. Anyway it was a Saturday night and Sammy comes over to watch TV of course. Just as we sat down, guess who comes a running to sit between us. I forgot to tell them to knock it off so I  called them upstairs and told them NOT to sit between us. They said, okay but they were holding their hands out.  In other words PAY-UP. Thats the only time he came over to watch TV, shortly after that I started begging to let me date. In the meantime, I'd call and request songs and he would say something special to me on the air and...... my heart would melt.

Dear Lord
I know I don't understand why this has happened to me so many times but I do know there is Nothing that will Ever come between You and Me.You are my strength that keeps me going until I see them all again. Amen

.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

One Leg Over the Threshold

Sometimes You Just Gotta Laugh

My New Journey