Young and Dumb

After graduating from high school, I got tired of sitting around the house and decided to get out and look for a job. We lived in Florence, Al. but for some reason I started looking for a job in Muscle Shoals which was about 10- 15 minutes from the house. By this time we had moved from our first purple basement apartment to a rented house. We really didn't stay at this place very long because there was this dang mouse we couldn't catch and I'm terrified of mice. Also we came home one day and Samson (our dog) was in the toilet. I told Sammy I bet that mouse scared him and he jumped in. Honestly his water bowl might have been empty and he just got thirsty. I'll tell ya this, we never found him in the toilet ever again. We Moved!!!!

I went to work at a place called Woolco, it was like a Wal mart and I applied for a job and they hired me that day. Must have been desperate that day!!!  I was over the music department, of course. lol!!! It was a pretty cool job. I could work and listen to my husband on the radio all at the same time,cause I'd leave the radio on in my dept. Hey it was music.

Shortly after I went to work, we had to get another car cause sometimes I'd work mornings  and sometimes afternoon. Sammy found this little bitty green car. I think it was called an Austin America or American. I couldn't tell ya what model ( cause I don't know stuff like that)  but it was green ( to me color is important) Apparently we didn't have any money so Sammy took our air conditioner out of our house and traded for this great car, which by the way didn't have an air conditioner in it. Can y'all believe that? Did people really do that? He did.. Hey, we were determined not to ask for help from our parents. There are three reasons why we came home every weekend; 1- We wanted to see everyone. 2- We would go to church. 3- We didn't want them coming to see us or we would have to sit out in the yard under a tree just to breath. Didn't really bother us much, we were in love and  had two cars.

Sammy decided he would drive this little car to work. I thought it was so cute and I wanted it to be mine. He said, "naw" it could only go down the road a little ways and back??????? Just so happens the radio station, (WQLT)  was only 3-4 miles down the road from our "HOT" house. He said, after all we really don't know how much life is left in this little car, might fall apart. I said, are you saying there wasn't much life left in that Cold air conditioner?
One particular morning I didn't have to work so Sammy said he would leave me the little car. Right off I knew I wouldn't be going far on my off day. After some thought I decided I could make it to the grocery store about a mile away. Guess what??? The pretty little car wouldn't crank so I called someone to take a look at it. This man says, ma'am (now I'm only 18)  has it got water in it. WATER????  I said, Lord I didn't know you watered a car. He explained... water in the battery. I really can't remember what was wrong with the car but he got it running and showed me where to put the water. When Sammy came home, I said, did you know that little car had to be watered. He said, what???  I said, water in the battery. He said,.uh... ohhhhh yeah!!!!!
 I  said, did you know you can catch a mouse with cheese. He didn't think that was funny at all.lol!

Sammy at that time did the morning show and it was always dark when he left for work. I told him I worried about him driving that little car so I'd stay awake till I heard him come on the air, that way I knew he made it. Well one morning he didn't come on the air so I went lookin' and I found him waiting on me. Now this was back in 1974, of course no cell phones. He said a man offered to give him a ride and he told him I'd be along soon and I was, but we had to go back to get water for the car. Gosh,  " Young and Dumb".but we had fun

Dear Lord,
Sometimes I feel like that little green car.There are some days when I'm falling apart but I'm so Thankful you are there keeping me together. Amen





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

One Leg Over the Threshold

Sometimes You Just Gotta Laugh

My New Journey