Happy Belated Grandparents Day

Well they say Sunday was Grandparents day. Apparently, the Huntleys and the Clarks forgot I had two grandsons. He he!! How long has that been around?  I mush have missed it cause I forgot daddy and mama all these years. My girls learned from the best. Don't think they had that when I was growing up but, never the less, let me tell you about my grandparents.
My maternal grandparents were Russell and Otha (Pet) Medley. Russell, my papa died when I was real young, oh, maybe I was in the fourth grade. What I can remember of him was, he was a loving and a giving man.  He would come over to our house every morning before school and would give me a quarter or two to put in my piggy bank. Otha, Mama Pet, got the name "Pet" when she was young. Story has it when she was young she fell over a plow and she became somewhat crippled and her family petted her a lot, so she became Pet. She owned a florist called "Medley's Florist" for years and mama worked for her.  I would ride the school bus and get off there every afternoon. I loved going to her house cause her neighbors had kids my age and we always had us a baseball game going every day. Saturdays were the best cause we had the whole day to play. Mama Pet was such a sweet lady. I can't remember ever hearing her have anything negative to say about anyone and, if you were in need, she'd try and help you out. She was more on the serious side. She always fixed Sunday dinner (fried chicken) for my family. And I think Christmas was her favorite holiday. I remember I was dreading telling her after I had been married a few years that we were moving to Florida. She said, "well that happens when you get married ,you gotta go, where you gotta go." Papa worked for the TVA and they moved around a good bit, so she understood.

My paternal grandparents were Lester and Helen Bryant. We called Lester, Daddy Lester. He was a brick mason. He laid brick on many of the old churches and homes here. He and my grandmother divorced  before I was born. Now my grandmother Helen was called Mama Helen. Lord, now she was something else!!!!I loved going to her house especially after I started driving. She loved politics, playing pranks on people, and she was fun to be around. She didn't really have a filter from her brain to her mouth, sorta told ya what she thought. Sometimes she would let an ugly word come out but nothing real filthy. Just three words, "damn, hell, or shit" (are those filthy).  I'm sorry but the way she would throw one of those words in when she was a talking, I'd laugh. She thought nothing of it. Hey, I know we have all let one of those words slip every now and then. I know when I've stumped my toe or something, I didn't say "Praise the Lord" (Sorry Lord). When I told her we were moving to Florida this is what came out, "Well..... SHIT FIRE!!!! thats what you get for marring him, I knew he would take you off." We were gone for 11 years and we wrote each other at least 3 or 4 times a week. Guess what???? When she passed away mama found where she had kept all my letters I had written her. Gosh what I'd give to have kept hers cause there were some doozies. HA!! This is where I get my writing from, we write like we talk (no filter!!!).

All my grandparents live in Heaven now and I know there was a BIG reunion a few months ago. I really wished I had gone by to see my grandmothers every day. Some days I'd be busy with the kids and wouldn't get to visit them.  They looked so forward to us coming to see them, I think. I know I'm not as old as they were but they had to get lonesome, day after day. So if your grandparents are elderly and don't get out much, please go by and see them often. You'll be glad you did later on.
I'll be throwing my grandmothers in some of my stories I write. I love both sets of grandparents and miss them soooo much.

Dear Lord,
How blessed I am to have grandparents like I had. Thank you for all our dinners, holidays and vacation we had together. My memories of them are precious and how they linger. Amen

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

One Leg Over the Threshold

Sometimes You Just Gotta Laugh

My New Journey