Riding to school

 I was taking my nephew (Logan) to school this morning, as I have since he was 5 years old and I was remembering back when all my kids were in school. Kinsley was just a baby and the other three were going to three different schools ( elementary, middle & high school)  so we had to leave a little early to make the rounds. Some mornings I'd be in such a hurry I'd have my pajamas pants on with a sweat shirt pulled over my pajama top just in case I had car trouble and I had to walk. HA! Several mornings I'd forget to brush my hair which was a little scary and the kids would wont me to let them out at the road just before turning in at their school.

Thought I'd share a couple of interesting rides.

One year (maybe 1st or 2nd grade) Jays class had to dress up like their favorite singer. Well, ole Jay wanted to be Willie Nelson. I'm not real sure if he even knew anything about Willie just that he liked his hair. Back in the 70s Willie had an album called, "Shotgun" and his record company sent Sammy a bottle of Whiskey with a note from Willie. I thought maybe Willies picture was on the box (whiskey was in a box) and I'd show Jay what he looked like. I should have checked it out before hand but... noooooo Jay was right with me. I told him I thought there was a picture of Willie on a box. Well, no picture but a whole lot of questions.

Jay:  Mama does daddy know Willie.                                
Me:  Yep!
Jay:  Why is that bottle in a box?
Me:  "Cause this is the name of his album.
Jay:  Whats in that bottle.
Me:  Medicine, in case we have a cold and we're not gonna open it. lol!!!!

Once he got that headband with hair extensions on, he wouldn't answer to Jay. We had to call him Willie and he would get so mad if we forgot. I couldn't get to the schools fast enough that morning and he was the last one to be dropped off.

Me; Willie if someone ask who you are, what are you gonna tell them?
Jay: Mama, when they see me they'll know.
Me: But if they don't....
Jay: I'm Willie Nelson, I sing and send people medicine for colds when you're sick.

You know for a few mornings there I waited on him to holler from his bed or our bed saying, "I need Willie" so he would try to get out of going to school. I guess once he took that headband with extensions off "Whiskey River never crossed his mind".

One morning I was taking Kinsley to school ( 1st grade) and the car rider line was so long and taking forever, I was just a mouthing. What is taking so long and as I was rounding the corner I could see a mother out with her little girl. The little girl was so sick and she was throwing up.

Me: Oh that poor little girl is sick.
Kinsley: I know mama, there's a computer virus going around, maybe I should stay home.

Dear Lord,
Memories, my sweet memories, thank you for them. I have you and them to cling to. Amen.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

One Leg Over the Threshold

Sometimes You Just Gotta Laugh

My New Journey