Baseball.....Baby

Y'all remember that ball field up on the hill past the power company, well that is where Jay had is first real baseball game. When Jay started playing baseball I was so excited. Actually, when he was born and the doc put him in my arms, I thank the good Lord and immediately thought baseball. Finally a boy!!!! After two girls.  One afternoon (around 5 or 6 o'clock) we were headed to the ball field for his first game, and just about the time the light turns green at our one and only intersection he says
Jay:  Mama I don't think I can play against my friends.
Me:  About to stroke out, WHY
Jay:  'Cause I just wanna be their friend.
Me:  Oh, y'all will still be friends. This is just for fun.
Jay :  Even if my team wins?
Me:   Sure.

Now the year before was a little different ..... t-ball. He caught on real fast how that worked. One time we pulled up to the ball field and we all got out but Jay stayed in the car.
Me: Oh, hurry son.
Jay:  I think I'll just sit in the car.
Me:  Why?
Jay:  'Cause I can tell ya what the score is gonna be.
Me:   What?
Jay:   We gonna tie it up.
He finally got out, walked real slow with his head hanging between his legs (hehe, I can just see him) and that little booger was right, They Tied. Ha! Y'all can imagine that ride home.

Back to the real game.

Jay played hind catcher. He was little, so all that garb you gotta put on sorta all connected. I'd holler, come on baby hit the ball or run baby run. When the game was over, we got in the car and he was quite.
Me:  See you still have friends and didn't you have fun?
Jay:  Well you was right mama, I still got my friends and  had a lot of fun but mama, please, please don't call         me baby while I'm playing. I could hear you every time. If you just gotta say it wait till we get in the car.
Me:  Hey, roll your window up for a minute.
Jay:  WHY!!! just do it.
Me:  Jay, I'm so proud of you BABY!!!!
Jay:  MAMA!

I like to think when this "game of life" is over, I'm rounding the bases and headed for home, I step on home plate and the Lord will be there to met me.  He will say, "Welcome Home"...... and the crowd goes wild. Oh my goodness, I'll have something to cheer about cause I'm on the winning team. Yeah, Baby!!!

Dear Lord,
Sometimes when I have time alone I do wonder"why". I'm sorry, please forgive me 'cause when I get to Heaven it's not gonna matter any more. Amen.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

One Leg Over the Threshold

Sometimes You Just Gotta Laugh

My New Journey