Heavy Heart

What a terrible weekend and Christmas is not on my mind. I know all our hearts are heavy and it got me to thinking about when I was a first grade teachers assistant at IES (Iuka Elementary School).
Back in1990, a friend of mine told me she was gonna go to take a test and see about being a teacher's assistant. Jokingly, I said I'd come a long, no pressure 'cause I really wasn't looking for a job. I don't know what got into me 'cause Lord knows I sure didn't like taking test.  Must have been the company of my friend, Pam. Mr. Evans and I must have gotten the results of the test about the same time because the next thing I knew I gotta call from him.
Mr. Evans: I want you to come to my office. I wanted  talk to you  about a job.
Me: Oh Mr. Evans, I really wasn't looking for a job. I took that test just for the fun of it and no one in my family knows I took that test.
Mr. Evans: I want you to come on anyway and you can think it over after our talk.
By the time I got there he had everything worked out. I tried real hard to convince him it was a joke and to please hire my friend. He went over what exactly a teacher's assistant job was and that I would be working with Becky McNeely (btw... he had already hired my friend).
Me: I'm so sorry Mr. Evans, you got the wrong person.
Mr. Evans: let me call Becky in here so y'all can meet.
Becky was as bad as Mr Evans. We met and she asked to me show me the classroom.
I drove home dazed and confused. Sammy was out of town but when he called:
Me: I think I was just hired at the elementary school today.
Sammy: WHAT???
Me: Well you see a few week ago I took a test on being a teacher's assistant and I past the durn thang. Mr. Evans called me in and I already know the teacher I'll be working with. Oh my goodness this had all happened so fast, do you mind if I work. I really didn't mean to pass that test.
Sammy: (laughed and laughed at me)Well all the kids will be in school and Jay's starting kindergarten. You were dreading being home alone, so go for it, if  thats what you want. Just remember I'm gone a lot and this will be more on ya.
I started working in August of that year. I can truly say from 7:30 to 3:15 those kids in that room were" OUR Kids". Teachers and assistants would do anything to protect your kids. I only worked there two years (I look up to single parents) and to this day I can tell ya something about each child in our room.
Back a few years ago (HA!) I can remember going to Ms. Myrtle's (what pre-k is today). After we moved back here, she would see me and she would tell me stories about when I went to her school and some of the stuff I did. I thought there is no way she could remember what I did, but I know now she knew what she was talking about.
I won't use any names but one morning a little boy came in the room crying his heart out. I thought someone on the bus had been mean to him.  I was mad and ready to high-tail-it to tell Mr. Evans. I held him in my lap as he told me about seeing his puppy get run over as he was getting on the bus. Becky didn't have a clue what was going on 'cause I was crying as bad as he was. We gather all the kids up on the rug and had a little memorial for his dog. Of course, by the time we had finished we had memorialized every dog that had been killed or any car chasers thats days were numbered. Might as well get that over with 'cause I couldn't take another morning like that.
We listened to kids tell some far out stories knowing good and well they hadn't been out of Iuka.  But we went on their journey with them. I remember Becky telling me they didn't want us holding the kids in our lap any more ('cause I was bad about letting them in my lap to read a story). You know a habit is hard to break, so I'd tell her to turn her head.  This one needed to be held, and some days I'd have to turn my head.
I have many memories of our time together as a class family, and maybe some day I'll write more about Our 48 or 52 kids and OUR teacher Mrs. Mac.

I had the most amazing night last Friday night. Hadn't had one of those in a long long time. I awoke to a smiling feller. As I sipped on my coffee, he drank his formula, and my thoughts were on the teachers, kids and their families in Connecticut. I feel for them. I know our circumstances are some what different, but our hearts hurt the same. I know what it's like come Monday morning and your child can't be dropped off at the elementary school. I know what its like waiting out on my porch for 3:15 to get here so I could see if  she had a good day. I know I'm not alone and we should all count our blessings, 'cause you don't ever know. I don't understand WHY anyone could take the lives of precious children when all they got on their mind is Santa and that Elf on the Shelf.

Dear Lord,
As our teacher we know you cry when we cry. As parents we want our children to out live us 'cause its so hard to live without them. May you wrap your loving arms around theses parents, siblings, spouses and
grandparents. May they listen to the whispers of Heaven. May they feel your love and know that angels are nearby. As you welcome their little one's with open arms, may they remember they are precious in your sight. Amen.

         

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

One Leg Over the Threshold

Sometimes You Just Gotta Laugh

My New Journey