2 Big presents

When I was in the fourth grade I decided I wanted a piano for Christmas. My daddy kinda liked that idea. You see, when he was younger his mama wanted him to play even though they didn't have a piano. He even had a few piano lessons, but he had to drop out. My grandmother (Mama Helen) had saved a little money so he could have lessons, but after a few lessons, the teacher sent a note home with him to give to his mama. He thought the teacher was really gonna brag on him, and he was all smiles till Mama Helen read the note. It said   he was wasting my time and your hard earned money; don't send him back. Daddy told me one time that he really wanted to learn to play, but his teacher always had refreshments.  He had rather eat than learn to play. Anyway, for Christmas that year I got a piano, and Daddy ordered us some music 'cause we was gonna big one day. Till this day we still can't play but we are BIG! I took lessons for a year or two but nothing stuck. I still have that piano, and I can play the best chop sticks you have ever heard. I've done just about everything willing myself to play. I've tired the Steveie Wonder way, you know closing my eyes but ....nothing. Even talked it over with the Lord. I'd play for you Lord, if you would grant me this miracle but ...nothing. I probably ask to much 'cause I didn't wanna fool with reading notes and I sure couldn't remember"Every Good Boy Does Fine" I just wanted to throw my head back and play. Y'all know how some people can tear a piano up, well that was gonna be me. Now I just keep the dust wiped off her and peck around. So for all of you piano players, I half way envy you. I got the piano just not the talent.
After thinking about this I remember Lisa took piano lessons on my piano but .... nothing. It's gotta be the piano!!! You think?


The year I got my drivers license, I went out on a limb and ask for a car. I knew there wasn't a chance cause Daddy never took me to look for one much less pick out one. That was the Christmas I first laid eyes on Sammy at  the radio station. He wasn't even in my dreams yet. I must have ask for luggage 'cause that was all that was in my spot from Santa. I remember Daddy and Mama making over what all Keith and Lisa got, and I was trying real hard to be excited about luggage (they hadn't told me I was going any where). Maybe that was gonna be my surprise. After awhile, Daddy came over to where I was and ask if I was planning on taking a trip. Looking down at that luggage, I said, I don't reckon. He reached down like he had found something and said, well I wonder what these are to.  It was a set of keys. I said  I didn't know. Then he walks over to the picture window and says, well who is that out there. In the drive way was brand new goldish/yellow 1972 Duster (car). When I turn to look at him, he was smiling and holding up those keys. I grabbed the keys, and out the door I went. I was barefooted and I jumped over two hedge bushes. There was frost on the ground but who cared, I gotta car!!!!!

Dear Lord,
Sometimes we want things our way instead of your way. Maybe if I had learn to read them piano notes thing would have turned out differently but you know me. Lord may we always remember when we pray for something and it don't come in the way we wanted, it just means you got something better in mine, so I wanna thank you for some of my unanswered prayers. Amen.






























Comments

Popular posts from this blog

One Leg Over the Threshold

Sometimes You Just Gotta Laugh

My New Journey