Gaither Cruise


Gotta love this face.
Y'all when we were growing up daddy loved dogs and he didn't mind us having one but Lord, mama did. If we got to have one it had to stay outside. Sometimes we would get a mutt by people dropping them off by our house. Daddy never really put any money on a dog, it was always a mutt. He never believed in taking them to the vet but then I can't remember us ever having a vet back then. I remember one time our mutt had babies, about 13. When they got to be about 6 weeks old, they started looking overly fat. Dr. Bryant, aka daddy, said they had "worms" and he was gonna, " fix 'em up". Seems like I was about 7 or 8 years old and I got to help him. Doc got the worming medicine and he did his magic. We waited a little while and then went back outside to check on our patients and they were all DEAD!  Daddy said, dad-gum-it! I've killed them. He gives me a few minutes to cry and then tells me, we gotta go bury them. He digs a big old hole and puts all 13 in there and covers them up with dirt. I'll never forget this...... just about the last shovel full is thrown on them they start moving and a squealing. Daddy starts digging them out, one by one. Hallejuer!!!! He had over wormed them.

When I was in the 6th grade I did get a pekinges dog for Christmas but I don't know if he paid anything for it. Heck, I know he didn't, Santa brought it. Ha!!

A few years ago Mama tells me this, the day I'm buried I want y'all to go out and get your daddy a dog. He has always wanted an old dog. Well I got to thinking, she may not die first so.... I go and get him one. A FREE ONE!!!! It was a two tone basset.
I go busting in their house with that dog and mama's giving me one of those looks. While daddy was lovin' on that dog, I had to have a talk with mama. I told her what I was thinking and that I didn't wanna jinks her but he needed a dog. She said, well he wanted a lap dog and you know that things gonna get long and its not staying in this house. It was just a baby so they let it stay in the bathroom for a while.
The next week I go by and check on all three. Daddy was sitting in his recliner holding this dog that is twice as long since the last time I saw it and I said, daddy what name did you give him. He said, oh, I've tried out a few names but nothing yet. About that time a commercial came on TV about the Gaithers (gospel group) getting a cruise together. Daddy said, I'd like to go on one of those cruises. Well I knew that wasn't gonna happen so I say, why don't you name that dog Gaither Cruise and he did and here he is.


GAITHER CRUISE


I WANNA GO HOME, IT'S HOT




Daddy dreaming of that cruise while sitting on a pontoon at Eastport. HA!







o



OK......MUCH BETTER!!!











Comments

Popular posts from this blog

One Leg Over the Threshold

Sometimes You Just Gotta Laugh

My New Journey