1st apartment

Ok, I guess I've jumped the gun, after the honeymoon was the " one foot over the threshold" story. Aw, you can go back and read it again if needed . Ha!  Heck, these stories ain't in no certain order anyway. I just start writing till I get sleepy.

 About this 1st apartment. Sammy had found this gorgeous basement apartment for us in Florence Al. (NOT).... It only had 4 small rooms but we really didn't need much. It was over by UNA (college)  and it was decorated in the school colors too, everything was Purple and Gold, just ask Mama. One day Mama and Mama Helen ( my grandmother) decided they would help bring some of our wedding gifts to this Palace. Of course, this was a few weeks before we tied the knot and Lord knows they couldn't bring some of my clothes. I think they were holding out, thinking he might jump ship, so no clothes would be leaving the house till after we got married. Well I was so excited to show them where we were gonna live, if I could find it. I'd only been there one other time and they were following me. I finally found it but they never knew I was lost and I also forgot to mention we were gonna live in a basement. We pull up to this three story house and parking was in the back YARD. ( that should have been their first clue to what this place was gonna look like) They tell me they wanna go in and look around before they start gettin' stuff out. Okay ???? Y'all our only door ( like a side door) was right next to this long driveway. So if we ever got in a hurry to leave and ran out the door and a car was a coming down the drive.........we would be meeting our Maker. Anyway they walk right past my door and they head on up to the front of the house. They thought this whole big house was ours and they were gonna go in the front door. I hollered and told them I didn't have a front door and to come on back. Mama Helen was just a high-steppin' -it and saying, what you mean NO front door,( I 've cleaned her talk up) I 've never known of a house with no front door. I say, here's my front door and she tells me not to get smart with her. I tell her, this is the only door, so I guess we can call it my front door. They go inside and it didn't take long to make the rounds. You could stand in the middle of the den and just point to the other rooms cause you didn't have to walk far.
Y'all in our bedroom they were no closets just these real high cabinets, about three of them in a row and they were lined in purple satin. I thought they looked real nice but Mama Helen thought they looked like a coffin. Whew !!!!I can see them now and ugly don't even describe them but at 17 1/2  it was the most beautiful thing. I remember someone asking me what colors was I using in my house and I said purple. Well our kitchen was purple and gold, everything else was purple, all shades. I still have our gold canister set and big frying pan (ugly)
 To make a long story short, Mama said, she and Mama Helen had to pull off on the side of the road cause they got to crying on the way back home, ( truth be told Mama Helen was cussing and Mama doing all the crying ) cause I was gonna be living in a Dump. They told my other grandmother ( Mama Pet ) and she wanted us to move and she would pay our rent. She told them, they should have turned around and gone back and gotten my stuff..Ha!

You see, my Mama didn't think Ole Sammy would ever amount to anything. She would tell my Daddy many times, We Gonna Have To Keep Them Up, you mark my word, Jackie. I can't remember if I told y'all this, cause I'm not going back and readin' all these stories, but my Daddy is the one who gave us the Go Ahead to get married, Not my Mama. Remember we got married in January of my senior year. I think she would have liked it more if I would have waited till May... but I graduated with my class. I think its funny, years later when "Sammy/ Rusty" made a name for himself, Daddy would say, thats my Son-in-law......I loved that!!!  he he!!    Oh!! Mama finally came around to his way of seeing things. By the way.... they didn't have to keep us up at Anytime. Oh, we would go without before we ask for help, just to show 'em.

After our honeymoon, we drove straight back to Iuka to get my clothes and our dog, Samson. Now they didn't know what time we were gonna get there but when we drove up they were all on the front porch. Y'all remember in that Going to the Chapel story I said someone did my make-up for me, well apparently I was allergic to what ever kind of make-up that was put on my face and for days after that my face turned so red and peeled like crazy. I really had forgotten about the way my face looked till....Mama. She said, Oh My Lord, get in this house, what has he done to you. I really did look baddddd and I know Sammy was ready to trade me in so he just didn't look me in the eyes for a few days.Ha! We got all packed up and headed to our palace. I gotta tell ya, it kinda felt a little weird leaving and knowing I didn't need to be home at 11:00.

Dear Lord,
I can't help but think about my three when they met you, our maker's face.You know Lord sometimes I wonder, when our heart stop beating and we are brought back to this old world, and we had just a glimpse of Heaven, why would we wanna come back. I think about that mansion and them streets of gold and a awesome front door with pearls  I bet there will be some purple thrown in there too. What a day that will be!!! UNA may stand for a college in Alabama  but UNA for me stands for: United- Never part- Again!!!. Thank you, Lord for taking care of me. Amen
















l






;


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

One Leg Over the Threshold

Sometimes You Just Gotta Laugh

My New Journey