My Surprise

You know when you have more than one child there comes a time when a car just ain't gettin' it. You know it's like moving every time you go somewhere. So a van became my ride for many years. Actually we had our share of vans over time. One year for my birthday Sammy comes home from work and tells me to pack for a over night trip. What no kids!!!! Mama was keeping them. Where are we going???? Just pack!!! ....Over night... I knew we weren't going to Hawaii (HA!) 'cause I can't fly over 2 hours. While I pack, he goes and washes the van for our trip. Now he had my van all day.  What I didn't know was he had it detailed (cleaned) on the inside. You can imagine the surprise on my face when I opened the door. Now imagine 3 kids, food, and ball bags....y'all gettin' this picture. This van looked brand new.
We have a great send off, the kids and mama waving and we are headed to... Memphis. We went out to eat and on the way to the hotel our van started acting up.
Sammy: I knew something was wrong with this thing.
Me: Well I've never had any trouble. Its probably 'cause you had her all cleaned up and she don't like it.
Sammy: Do you feel it missin'.
Me: Yeah, missin' me driving. I did feel it jumping some, but goodness he was getting excited.
We got to the hotel and he said we would deal with it in the morning. We get up, eat, and we start riding. He pulls into a car lot and says SURPRISE,... pick you out a car.
Me: You sure you don't wanna get this one fixed, 'cause she looks new.
Sammy:  Awww, there is nothing wrong with this van.  I was just playing with you, but it didn't work. I thought maybe you would say, maybe we should trade but noooo you had to crack jokes.
Long story short, we found a white Durango that took 5 hours to get. Oh My Goodness, Sammy loved nothing more than to argue over price. He and that salesman went back and forth. The last hour the salesman leaves the room for the hundredth time to talk to his boss. While he is gone, Sammy come up with a play (plan) and I'm the leading actress. He says, when that guy comes back in I'm gonna say such and such. and you say such and such, then I'm gonna say such and such and you say such and such. Then I'll say this is my final offer. Either take it or we are gonna walk out (I'm sorry y'all I can't remember that whole conversation. Sammy loved to tell this story and I wish he could tell ya).  Anyway the salesman comes back in and Sammy says his line.  Well, this actress froze and couldn't remember anything that had happened in the last 4 hours. I start making all these faces at Sammy and squirming  like crazy. Sammy and this guy are looking at me like her medicine is wearing off.  Finally, Sammy tells him I'm gonna write this check and you can take it or leave it, we are gotta go. They excepted it and we headed home. On the way home Sammy said what happen to you back there. I told him I forgot my lines, and not to worry I wouldn't be doing that again. I was so glad he remember his line, "take it or leave it".

Dear Lord,
Isn't that life. You already love us, but will we take you or leave you. I think about all who don't know you as their personal savior and they don't know what their missin'. They can leave all their worries and problems to you. Like my van, you cleaned me on the inside and I gonna shine for you on the outside. I know what has happened to me isn't a surprise to you. This set back is to set me up for a new beginning and I'm scared but I know I'm not alone. Bless my family. friends and blog readers. Amen.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

One Leg Over the Threshold

Sometimes You Just Gotta Laugh

My New Journey