On Green..... Going to Sonic

If you have or had a child that has gone to Iuka Elementary School, y'all know what this is all about. For you out-of-towners, here in Iuka (probably other schools too) if your child stays on a green dot all week that was a good thing, 'cause they could get in the treasure box. Oh they got other colors to but green was the highest and our goal.
As long as I can remember, on Fridays our kids got a treat. Nikki and Beth didn't do dots when they were in school. Someone thought that up later, so we would go get a snow cone on Fridays. I know when Jay and I (substitute teacher) were in school we had dots. Now some of you may not like them dots but I did. Lord, in our room you had to really do something awful to get your card turned past yellow, and I can honestly say no one got below a yellow. I think we would threaten you 3 times then... yellow was your color after that. No gettin' in that treasure box that Friday. :(  Those dots worked in our house. If you stayed on green all week...look out Sonic.
One Friday, Mama was working in her yard and it was time for Logan (age 3) and me to go pick Kinsley up.  So I stopped by and invited her to come along 'cause we were going to Sonic. As we were approaching Kinsley in the car rider line, she had that sad look on her face. I was thinking, not today Kins, I got Mawmaw. She had never gotten a yellow dot before so I assumed we were good....NOT! She didn't say anything on the ride to Sonic. I pull up, of course Mama is clueless, and I said "what y'all want".
Mama (grandmother) Well, I think I'll have a strawberry shake.
Logan: wanted ice cream.
I wanted a strawberry limeade.
Kinsley what do you want? She was a fidgeting in her seat, then busted out crying and then said I can't get anything I got a yellow dot. (Watching her I was about ready to cry)
Mama giving me one of those looks.... you better not.
Me: Kinsley, I hate that you got on yellow but you know the rule, maybe next Friday.
Mama: you ain't gonna push that button, are you?
Me: Yep, us 3 will get something.
Mama: Well I Don't Wont Anything!!
Me: Yes, you're gonna get that strawberry shake.
Mama: I don't think I can drink it.
Me: We 3... Will Drink!!! and its gonna be good.
By the time we had our round, I would have liked something stronger and I don't drink.
We sat there and drank in front of Kinsley. Mama rubbing her throat trying to make it go down.
That night before bed Kins tells me she is sorry about getting on yellow and we had a long talk about it and I told her how proud I was of her about being honest at Sonic. I told her it was no fun drinking in front of her so think green next time.
Sammy/Rusty gets in late that night and I'm up waiting on him. I start telling him how awful of a parent I am and why did I come up with such a stupid rule. I had tears and snot going every where. He assured me everything would be okay.
Saturday-lunch time comes.
Sammy/Rusty: Hey I been hungry for Sonic all week long, lets all go.
Me: Whew! I felt better and Kinsley didn't catch on and everything was okay.
When Kinsley got her permit we would go there several times she would never get close enough to push the button.  So she kept a pencil handy. We had many, many laughs over that.
We all looked forward to Sonic on Fridays. After Kinsley started driving, we would sometimes see her there with friends but dare not wave. lol! I gotta tell ya when Logan started 9th grade and had ball practice after school I was lost on Friday afternoons. A few times I'd go by myself and sometimes Lisa (my sister) would meet me there. I loved my Sonic years!! So remember from my past experience you may have to "pencil in Sonic".


Dear Lord,
Being a parent, I didn't like that tuff love stuff but its the lesson we try to teach. I know you know all about that, look at us. Saying "I'm sorry " is so hard to say sometimes but when we come to you, all is forgiven.We should all be more forgiving because we never know what tomorrow holds. Help us remember we will miss out on the joy and peace in this life if we wont forgive. I know Lord in this little story forgiveness was.... real healthy for us. I love you so much and thank you for forgiving me when I don't deserve it. Bless my family, friends and blog readers. Amen.




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

One Leg Over the Threshold

Sometimes You Just Gotta Laugh

My New Journey