Cuttin' Loose a Little at a Time

Y'all remember practicing for your big day "getting your drivers licence". I would dream of the day Mama would be in the kitchen cooking and would need me to drive to the grocery store (by myself) and pick up some milk, just milk. I don't remember that ever happening but that was my dream ride. You see I could take the back road and it was gravel at the time. I figured out real quick if I hit the brake real hard the car would slide a little (ok, a lot sometimes). She must have known better; that's why she got her own milk.
I remember having my licence only a week and we were coming back from a family reunion near Cross Roads. Y'all know Grisham Hill on 25 North (back then that hill was bigger I do believe)? I was behind a log truck (yes, a log truck on Sunday) and I thought I needed to pass it. I had never passed before and, needless to say, I forgot to run this idea by Mama. Well it was all clear, so here I go. Mama must have been looking down or swattin' at them two in the back seat (Keith and Lisa, my brother and sister) 'cause she didn't start hollering till I picked up speed.
Mama: WHAT ARE YOU DOING!!!!
ME: Ain't ever done this before.
Mama: You're fixing to kill us all.
That truck started picking up speed sooooo.... I had to, too. I don't know our speed but I had never gone that fast. Seems it lasted forever and I was scared to death.
Mama: I SHOULD MAKE YOU PULL OVER BUT I'M TO WEAK TO DRIVE.
I don't think I said a word but my knuckles were white as cotton. I do remember being the first one out of the car when we got home 'cause I cut out running to the bathroom (you know... just checking).
When our girls came of age to practice driving Sammy was the one they went to. I took after Mama; it made me "weak". I'd ride in the back seat sometimes. Nikki was a good driver, slow but careful (we never thought she would drive!). There were times I thought I could run along beside the car and get there faster. The day she got her licence she dropped me off at the house 'cause she had cheerleading practice. I begged her to let me take her.  I just wasn't ready for this. Of course, I got out but when she got out of sight I jumped in my car and followed her, keeping my distance. When I saw her pull in at the school I turned around. Shhhh!!  Little did I know I would be helping her study for her bus drivers license about 16 years later.
Now Beth didn't like to hit the brake. We (Sammy, I was against it) let her "practice" before she was of age.  I remember her coming in the drive many times like she was on 2 wheels.  Jay would be out in the yard playing and I hollered, It's Beth Coming!!!! He would run to the porch and hide behind the rails. Another time, we were all in the car and were coming up to a stop sign right before getting on the four-lane (this was one of those "practice" sessions). I was pregnant with Kinsley and I didn't think she was gonna stop and an18 wheeler was coming. You know how you will try and stop for them, your pushing on an invisible brake. Well if my feet would have went through the floor of that car I would have walked us home. Flintstones style! I told her that was why Kinsley came early she scared me, HA! The day she got her licence she dropped me off cause she was going to see her friends. I said go on and I didn't follow. I guess I assumed if the first one made it she would too.  Now when Kinsley came along it was like starting all over again. I got the privilege of taking all three to get there licence; I don't know what it was about Kinsley getting her's, but we had fun making pictures. She was an okay driver and she didn't care for me riding with her 'cause she said I grunted too much. I think she meant I was weak.
You know there is something about your kids getting their license. You're happy for them and they are a lot of help if you should need milk or something, but you can't help but worry. It like clipping a little part of their wings, I guess or my apron string.
Now days I ride by myself a lot but that's okay. It's my alone time. But I'm really not alone, and this just didn't start last year. You see after Jay passed away and I'd get some riding time alone, just God and me. I will admit I didn't do much of that before then. Oh I always knew God was with me, but I didn't talk it up with him like I should. You know when things are going good sometimes we forget to slip in a "Thank You". I will admit this last year God has been on speed dial, 24/7. I like to imagine what God thinks of me when I call on him 4 or 5 times a day. It may go something like this: you child of mine, I see your knuckles are white as cotton as you climb this hill.  I've got this; I've got you. Now get on up there, turn that music down, and listen to me.

Dear Lord,
I love the feeling I'm not alone. I want all my friend to know that you love hearing from them. I pray they will check in with you on a daily basis. Lord, I hope they don't let you ride in the back seat, and they will make room for you. I know there are bumps along this road of life we travel, so we gotta stay focused on what is ahead of us. I pray for the one's who are lost and are just riding around. I hope that they will come to know you before their journey ends. I pray for the one's like me struggling to stay on the road with tears in our eyes and I pray for the one's that are keeping it between the lines. May we all remember what a blessing it is to know you, and that you have been there for us all along. Bless my family, friends and blog readers. Amen.




















Comments

Popular posts from this blog

One Leg Over the Threshold

Sometimes You Just Gotta Laugh

My New Journey