1st Boat


A few months before I got married Daddy and Mama bought some land and a double wide trailer at Eastport lake. I remember telling Daddy, you would get this when I'm leaving home. He said well you don't have to get married. Huh!! I got married! That summer we saved some money and bought a boat. Most of the time we would drive down (45 mins away) on Saturday night but this one particular weekend we got to Iuka just in time for church and we were so excited about showing off our boat.
I'll never forget this. Now I  grew up going to the United Methodist Church here in town and Lord, I reckon' Daddy and Mama have sat in the same pew as long as I can remember.(that would be left side as you enter the church, 4th row from the back and sat near the window). Do y'all have a favorite spot? Well it made things easier for finding your parents. For example; if you were up front singing, you could look in that direction and see them gloating, not at me, cause I couldn't carry a tune in a bucket but I do make a joyful noise. It would be them grandkids. Anyway back to the story.
We were sitting in church and right before it started I whispered to Mama that we had some exciting news to tell them when church was over. Well of course she whispered to Daddy. I wasn't thinking about the way I said it so they were thinking we're gonna have a baby. When church was over and before we left the pew, Mama said, ok.... tell us your news. Sammy looks at me and says, you wanna tell them or you want me to. I said oh! lets tell them together. We Got Us A Boat!!!! Well you can imagine the look on their face. BOAT???
Daddy : My goodness, when did y'all get that.
Sammy : Yesterday
Mama: Where is it now.
Me: Outside.
Daddy: Y'all brought that boat to church.
Both of us: (So Proud) Yeah!!
Mama: Well where did y'all park.
Me: Out in front of the church.
Mama: OMGOSH!!!( like she would never be welcome back in the church)
(Have y'all ever heard of people not on the same page when talking?)
Time we had that conversation, we were about the last people to leave. Oh, Mama and Daddy ran to shake the preacher's hand who was standing right outside the church doors. When we get to the doors, Daddy says someone stole your boat and he was looking up and down the street. "Here's your car but no boat" Laughing!!! Sammy and I realized we left out a small part in our excitement.
Me: Oh... it's here, alright.
Daddy: SHIT!! (sorry y'all)  it ain't either.
Me: Daddy calm down. Its- in -the- trunk.
Daddy: WHAT??
Sammy: Its a inflatable boat.
Me: And a 2 seater and has 2 paddles.
Let me just tell y'all, its a good thing we were outside the church. My Daddy let a few words slip and did a little two step too. His blood pressure was up and as for as Mama, if there were cell phones back then she would have had the police to bring the dogs out 'cause she couldn't find the boat either.
I know it was a let down to them 'cause they didn't have a boat. I could tell from the pew to church doors, Daddy had his day planned. Gonna get my belly full and take a slow long cruise from these kids that didn't have a pot to pee  in and now they done gone and bought a boat.
We only had that beautiful (black and gray) boat a month. Our dog, Samson was riding in the bow of the boat and his sharp nail went through it, along with Sammy's knee and we had to jump ship in the middle of the lake. That cheap thing went down like popping a balloon.
I couldn't have taken many more weekends coming home with our boat. Daddy would say, I'll be waiting on y'all so I can help y'all back your boat in.

Dear Lord,
I know sometimes when we have bad things to happen in our life, things don't seem very funny. For all the people going through something, I pray they will soon have laughter. It does take time but its the best medicine. Laughter is a good thing, I know it keeps me going. Bless my family. friends and blog readers. Amen.





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

One Leg Over the Threshold

Sometimes You Just Gotta Laugh

My New Journey