Running low on hope with my GPS

7:15 am: leaving to take my two little grands half way back to meet their dad after spending some time with the Iuka family.

My car was loaded, kids strapped in, and "everything" in reach in case I needed to hand them something. I had planned on leaving around 6:00 am but my clock and GPS must have been talking to each other. We get about 5 miles down the road and Mac (4 year old) wants to know how much longer. Then, Mollie Bryant (2 year old), that is strapped in, opens her door. Not all the way, but enough for the lights to come on and all the blood to leave my body. So that meant everything that was all organized and within my reach shifted forward and hit the floor because of my sudden stop. OH my, we only had 5 hrs and 55 minutes to go. I look back, after getting back on the road, and Mac is not saying a word but he had put his football helmet on. Can't say I blame him.
We get about an hour on down the road and Mac announces he has to go POOP. Well, wouldn't you know, we are in the middle of nowhere. You just can't pull over for a job like that. My back couldn't take it. I told him to hang on while I put the red flashing light on top of the car and we would find a gas station soon. We finally see two gas stations.  They didn't look clean enough for my grands, so I turned in to McDonalds on two wheels. Of course, Mac is in his socked feet and Mollie has no socks,  no shoes, and no carseat shoulder straps. Somehow she was still tied in there 'cause I liked to never got her out. You know there is one thing I hate to see when it is 30 degrees outside..... a couple getting out of the car and their little one is barefoot. Well guess what??? I won't judge any more because I was half of that couple. I slung Mollie on my hip because we had to get going. I could tell by the look on poor Mac's face he was playing "push 'em back, push'em back, wayyy back". We took the widest stall 'cause we needed all the room we could get. As he perched on the seat, I was deep in thought. How was I gonna hold this two year old and wipe him (don't laugh, it's been awhile). Granted it was a clean bathroom, but I didn't wanna put her down. Didn't matter anyway...
Mac: "Hey, Grammy?"
Me: "Yeah, buddy?"
Mac:  "I was just KIDDING, I don't have to POOP."
Me: "Son... you better grunt or do something."
Mac: "I pee'd. Grammy, you still love me?"
Me: "Right now, I'm just liking ya, son!!!! Now get up because I gotta sit down."
Of course, Mac has to wash his hands, and that means monkey see monkey do. So, I miss that experience 'cause I'm holding "the boss". That dryer was so high up on the wall all it did was blow their hair to kingdom come. I'm telling you they were  "hot messes" with no shoes. They didn't even look like the same hoodlems as when we came in, worse!! We get all settle in and just as I was about to put the car in" R" I realized I forgot to change Mollie's diaper. You know there is one thing I hate to see in 30 degree weather and that's a couple changing a kid's diaper in the car with the door open. Well guess what????  I won't judge any more. As we were driving off,  Mac says, "Grammy, Ummmm, what's that smell".  And she replied,"hash rounds and pancakes. By the way... I Love You!!! " 
We mosey on down the road, eatin', singing, and talking because that's all we could do. I didn't count the times I was asked how come I didn't have an iPad so we could watch movies but I'd assured them I'd try and save up and a have one by 2020. (teacher's assistant salary, you know) 
I don't know what it is about Montgomery, Alabama and my GPS. I pretty much know how I wanna go but Noooo. This old gal on this GPS thinks I'm all wrong. I show her the way I wanna go and she catches up. This is good cause we are on the same page or road until all of a sudden she wants me to prepare to turn left. Of course, sometimes I get a little agitated and I talk back. Nawww, I ain't turning, you fool, that's not the way. In the mean time Mac says, "Grammy, are you preparing to turn?" Shhhh, I gotta think. After fighting with her I get all turned around and have no alternative but to listen to her. So here we go on some beautiful country road that went on forever. I was a nervous wreck but the kids loved it. Aww, we saw white cows that give white milk. We saw brown cows that give chocolate milk. Me being nervous and all didn't wanna explain about that brown cow and all the "whys" that come next. I just pray by the time he becomes a senior he will know the process. The road ends about 25 miles down the road and I gotta turn right or left. My leader tells me to turn left and I abide till I come to the first house and I wheeled in there. Trying to ignore the yells coming from the back. Yay from the two year old and where we at Grammy from the four year old. There was three guys and a little girl riding around on a four wheeler at this house. As I was getting out of my car this one good looking guy asked if he could help me. Now the other 2 men might have been just as good lookin' but they were a little futher away and I didn't have my glasses on.  I thought I had left my glasses at home only to find them later on top of my head, go figure. I said, "Please tell me Troy, Al is close by." He then tells me don't continue on the road I'm on because the road is washed out due to all the rain. Go back the way I came but stay straight and it will take me to 231. I say that's the number I been lookin' for. "How far away is that?" He says about 25 or 30 miles. I thanked him and we were on our way. OH my goodness, I have no cell service as soon as I get on these roads where you have to pipe in sunshine. The kids are so good but I know they are getting hungry. I gotta pee, I gotta fourth of a tank of gas which might as well have said empty to me, 'cause I don't know how far a fourth will take ya. Ryan, my son-in-law, knows I'm lost because I called and told and then my phone went dead. "Miss know it all" GPS gal starts in saying turn around, turn around. Now I'm not big on guns but if I'd had a sling shot I would have taken her OUT!! I was running low on hope and then I say, "Please Lord calm me down and lead me out of here. I fall short when I try to stand alone." Y'all there was a calmness that came over me and I knew everything was gonna be alright. I was even able to point out pigs to Mac and Mollie that was up close to the side of the road. Mac was excited, he had never seen a pig! Before long, my phone started ringing and I saw my sign, 231. Guess what was at the end of the road ???? A GAS STATION!!!!! With a bathroom and food. Don't tell me the Lord don't answer emergency calls. With my daughter's navigational ability, Ryan and I found each other. After, all that we were only 10 - 15 minutes apart. We unloaded all their stuff from my car to his van. I know people thought this was a friendly custody exchange because there was a whole lot of hugging going on among us all. I love to say," hey y'all" but my hardest is " goodbye."
We all made it back to our homes safe and sound. I gotta tell ya, as soon as I got home I started missing my grands. Nothing like the sounds of pitter patter of little feet, laughter, and the sweetest little voices saying Grammy.....

Dear :Lord,
There is just something about being a Grammy. Now, don't get me wrong, I love being a mama and I was so blessed to have four of the best children you ever made. Sometimes as parents life gets really busy trying to juggle everything and everybody and before you know it they are grown with children of the their own. Thank you for our time together.Thank you for their giggles,wiggles, hugs and snuggles. But, thank you most of all for watching over us when we are running low on Hope.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

One Leg Over the Threshold

Sometimes You Just Gotta Laugh

My New Journey