Lights.... Camera.... Action = Bathroom, Please

Have y'all ever heard the expression "you can dress her up but you can't take her out"? My girls have often said that to me over the years and still do. Today, I thought that was gonna be the case.
Last Friday, I got a call from MORA, the Mississippi Organ Recovery Agency.  They wanted to see if Monday, June 9th would be a good time to do an interview on organ donation. They tried to do this last fall but something can up and had to cancel at the last minute. So I knew sooner or later I would be doing this. The sooner was today.

This is how my day went:
I got up early and around 7:45, and went for a walk with some good ole girls from school. I went directly home and started getting sick.  Just nerves. I was told to bring pictures, awards, plaques, or whatever I wanted for this taping. So I packed the car. Thank goodness Nikki helped me get some pictures together and I ran to Wal-mart to make copies. Then I had to preform a miracle on yours truly. By this time, I was really nervous. I had the air conditioner on, and a fan blowing directly on me. For a minute, I thought I was dressed but I wasn't going nowhere... couldn't stay out of the bathroom, if you know what I mean. So I sat on the side of my bed and wrote to my friends on Facebook. If they can't get you going,then nothing will. My friends are everything to me. They know me well enough because I just tell it like it is. Honestly, I wasn't even gonna mention it to my FB friends. Back in the fall when I was suppose to go, they gave such encouraging words I thought I'd go back and read them and that would help calm me down.  Well, I couldn't find them (my guess, I didn't know what I was doing). I probably could find them tonight though. Anyway, they pulled me through. When I got to the taping, I sat in my car and read each comment.
Y'all know how I am about these red birds. They just make my day when I see one. I knew when I got to Burnsville (about 8 miles up the road) everything was gonna be alright. This beautiful red bird flew a perfect straight line a few feet in front of me. It was almost like slow motion. What a feeling!!! Bring on the cameras, I'm ready..
This interview took place at Wizard 106 radio station. How cool is that !!  Sammy/Rusty was a consultant for them many years ago and they remembered him. I think that's why we got to do the taping there. I told them he still had some pull even in Heaven. LOL !! Now I've never been to this radio station but awww... it took me back. The taping took place in their production room, where commercial are cut.  Funny thing .... everything that hung on their walls, we have on our walls at home. I felt so at home, but not so much being behind the control board and mic. I was asked many many questions, but was told only my voice would be heard.....UGH. I told the story of Jay (I think I wrote a blog about Jay wanting to help people, if not I will) and Sammy. I even threw in a little of Kinsley. At one point, I must have said something good  because the director told the camera/sound man he wanted me to repeat it. Heck, five seconds had already gone by.  I told him I didn't have a clue what I said (showing my age).
Here are a few questions I'll share:

Director:  How do you make it everyday after all this? You seems to have it all together.

Me: Oh you never get over this, the hurt you feel is so deep, but it's my faith that pushes me. You see I come from a small town; my friends, family and my faith hold me together.

Director: Have you ever heard from any recipients

Me: Only 3 of Jay's but not any of Sammy's yet (I shared a story about Jay's heart)

Director : Would you like to.

Me: Oh my goodness, YES.

He asked so many questions I can't remember all, but this was the gist of it. Hopefully, I said something they can use for a story. As I was about to get in my car to leave, Mr. Ron from MORA came sliding in honking his horn. He was holding an envelope with my name written on it. Guess what..... A LETTER FROM ONE OF SAMMY'S RECIPIENTS. Oh my gosh! I was blown away! Talking about perfect timing.... just what I needed. Of course, I couldn't leave the parking lot until I read it twice.
I'll share a little, I know you will understand, It's a little personal.
The recipient is a very grateful  lady. She was in a downhill skiing accident and it messed up her knee. She had to have reconstructive surgery and she was a recipient of tissue.She is very active. She can now hike, walk, do yoga, and exercise. Just last week, she and her husband got the go ahead from her doctor that they could start back ballroom dancing and it was a success.  She said that donation blessed her life and she would always be grateful. Our gift truly made a difference.
WOW!!! How great was that? Y'all, I gotta tell ya, when you are faced with this kind of decision for your loved one, it ain't easy. However... if this is your wish, please tell a family member and sign your driver's licenses. It sure does make it a little easier for your family knowing this is what you wanted. Just remember, you will have already moved on up while someone else can move on.
You know I often think of their recipients and wonder how they are doing. Maybe, just maybe one day I'll hear from another one. After reading this letter, I need to get up and get moving. I got winded just reading it. BTW.... she is the mother of 4 nearly grown children and we share the same name, Diane (that's my middle name)  AWESOME!!!! And Heaven Smiled!!!!
Photo

Dear Lord,
You know how I have worn this letter out reading it and my tears are many, not because I'm sad but because how grateful I am for this mother of four. I can't wait to tell her about my wonderful giving mam that you matched me up with years ago. Thank you for my day of sharing stories of Jay, Kinsley and Sammy, that will never get old to me. Be with the ones putting this story together and may I have given them something they can use to help other.  I know there are little things in life we should be thankful for and today it was that edit button and for all my friends and family lifting me up. In you name, Amen.




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

One Leg Over the Threshold

Sometimes You Just Gotta Laugh

My New Journey